Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hearing Mono In Stereo.

Let's pick up where we left off. On Sunday morning we woke up and Joshua still had a high fever. We made an appointment with the pediatrician's office and went in for yet another visit. This time the doctor was able to get a better look at Joshua's throat and saw that his tonsils were swollen and had white spots on them. He told us he wasn't sure , but he thinks it might be mono. Mono? A 20 month old can get mono? He said it's rare, but it can happen. The doctor decided to send us to the emergency at Cooks Children's Hospital for further testing. When we got there, the place was packed. Luckily, we got a room right away because we had a doctor's referral. We ended up spending about 4 or 5 hours there and the doctor told us that Joshua does have mono.

Then Monday rolls around. I watched my son at home all day, because Susan had to work and the daycare won't take him until the doctor releases him to go back. I expected to have a very long and difficult day with a very sickly little boy. Instead what I got was a boy who wanted to sleep almost all day and never ran a fever the whole time. When he was awake all he wanted to do was eat. I gave him fruit, he at it and wanted more. I gave him cheese crackers, he wanted more. I gave him gummy Cars, he wanted more. And so on and so forth. I also called the doctor to update him on Joshua's condition. However, it was me who got the surprise. Now the doctor is saying his tests show Joshua doesn't have mono. I told Susan what was going on. She and I agree that the symptoms Joshua has had are the same as mono. What else could it be? So, until we hear different, we're going to treat it as mono. Which just means giving him Tylenol to ease the pain. Later that night, when it was bedtime, he wasn't tired. He slept for about 2 hours and woke up screaming at midnight. Susan tried to comfort him but, that's not what he wanted. She could hear his tummy growling. He was hungry again. So at 1 in the morning I made mac & cheese and Joshua at it like it was going out of style. All I can say is, at least it did the trick. He was ready for bed and went straight to sleep.

On Tuesday it was the same thing. He slept until 10am. When he woke up, he was fussy and was crying for mommy. Mommy was at work already. So when I walked into his room he took one look at me and screamed, "NOOOOOOO!!!!! MOMMY!!!" and whet into a crying fit. Boy, I felt wanted. Oh, well. He'd just have to deal with it. The rest of our day together went okay. He mostly wanted to sleep again, but I tried to limit that so he might sleep better at night.

When Susan got home from work we all went out to dinner with her mom, David, and her brother. Actually, we first went to my work and dropped off my car so that after dinner she could just bring me to work and her and Joshua could head home. At dinner, Joshua didn't eat too good. He had already eaten plenty all day long, so he mostly just played with his food at dinner. When he was done, he began getting fussy and want to go. We weren't done yet and Joshua wasn't happy that he had to wait. More fussing ensued. When dinner ended, we got in the truck and in about 5 minutes he was asleep.

Once I got to work they already had a load ready for me to take to Houston. I got to Houston around 2am. Then they told me to take an empty trailer to Jackson, MS. I made it as far as Baton Rouge, LA and now I'm taking a break. That also mean that I need to quit typing an get some rest. Everyone enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment